NZ Peony season is only around the corner and it's something to get excited about! Delicate, soft and undeniably romantic, they are a popular bloom amongst flower enthusiasts everywhere.
Peonies don't only look beautiful, but they are an interesting flower too! Here are our 6 interesting facts about peonies:
1) Peonies are a symbol for good fortune and marriage, making them the perfect bloom for your wedding day
2) The flower’s name derives from the Greek word ‘Paeon’ – ‘a physician to the Gods’, who after curing Pluto of a wound, was changed into a flower to protect him from the jealousy of the other gods.
3) The Chinese were first to use Peonies for pain relievers. They were brought to Europe in the early 1200 and were used to ease the pain of childbirth, cure gallstones, and ward off evil spirits.They are still used in Eastern medicine today but have not been popular in Western medicine since the middle ages
4) They are grown in the South Island as they prefer to be cultivated in cooler climates.
5) A peony plant can bloom for over 100 years under the right care
6) Peonies need 500 hours of 1 degree temperature to bloom